Friday, June 20, 2008

CIOR 19,20 Another lost story!

Day 18

Day 19

Morning was First Aid and Obstacle course. Had to slow it down on the o course today due to my knee being an issue. I had a talk with the coach and he thinks it is a good ida to go easy on it now for a bit and then give it hell in Turkey. I like that idea.

This afternoon was the Orienteering. Again I was the navigator. I never thought they would allow me to hold a compass and map again after my little issues from before.

Today was a totally awesome experience navigating at Mount St. Bruno. This was another ski mountain. I don’t know the vertical but walking/running up it was a massive challenge.

We started the nav with 4 maps (remember that number). Each map joined with the ones that followed. The 4 maps were each different. One was a topo, one was contours only, one was a park map, and the last was aerial photo.

It was a shotgun start so we all take off in the same direction at once. Me and my partner were off like lightning. We completed the first map (topo) first of the 4 teams. Right on the 2nd map (contours only). Off we go into the bush and start up this mountain. We are doing well and getting some good ground covered. At the top we were looking for a 4 ft cliff with a boulder behind it. After 15 minutes of searching we were like a pinball in a pinball machine. Getting every point in quick succession. I was very happy with our performance and was thinking to myself that we will make a great team for Turkey.

At the end of map 2 it was time to get map 3 (Aerial) out and start on that one. This one was a little tricky because we had a hard time lining it up right. After some discussion we had what we thought was the right section. It is harder then you might think to line up a contour map with a sat photo. Down the mountain we go. At the bottom we see some houses. Okay maybe the map from the satellite is an old one. Into the streets we are running at top speed. Dirt covers our entire bodies from head to toe. We zigzag along the subdivision streets trying to find our next point. After about 5 blocks I am getting nervous that we did something wrong. “Okay lets stop and assess the situation” I say. We line the two maps up to face north and try to get our bearings as to where the hell we are.

That was when we learned that the maps were wrong. Or better put we were wrong. In fact map 3, the one we should have been naving off of was still in the bag. We were on map 4. That was why we were all fucked up. We were using the wrong map.

It is now 4pm, we should have been back at the vans to get picked up by now and we had NO idea where we were. What are we going to do? Shit, fuck, shit fuck. We are screwed. Our only option was to go back up the mountain and start again. So up we go. Half way up we see something that we know was on the photo map. A quarry. Awesome. Now we can finish. So up we go.

We pad our way over to the top point on the ski mountain and there was see the instructors with worried faces. “Where have you two been?” “oh just looking at the sights.” We reply. After some discussion about our adventure we finish the map by sprinting down the ski hill and collecting the last 4 points on our map.

Into the van and home for supper!

What a day. Even though we were off our map we still managed to get back on track. I was happy with the performance even though we ran an extra 10km in the process.

You may be thinking to yourself what idiots. And yes you are correct. The best thing was that we finished last. only 2 minutes behind the team in front of us. Another team was just so slow getting all the points that even with our 10km detour we still had the same time as them.

Our coach put a GPS on us to see what we did. I am looking forward to seeing all the twists and turns we made. I be it will be pretty funny.

Day 20

Ranges were awesome today. Finally getting all the bullet on the paper.

Land O Course was fun as well. 30 minutes straight. As many rounds as possible. 13 was my score. I was totally smoked.

Track workout was indoors today. I spent 45 mins on the bike with a HR of 135. After I had some time so I did 50 kipping pull ups and 25 HSPU’s. While I was doing this a guy came over and asked if I was Crossfitting. He wanted some instruction on kipping and the HSPU’s. That was a fun diversion to be teaching here while I was training. The head coach was watching and he started asking questions a well. He mentioned that was why I was able to do some of the obstacles so fast because I have good upper body strength. Too bad for the running portion!

Swimming! I am really starting to love the time in the pool.

100m Crawl
50m legs only
50m arms only
50m legs
4x25m (2 progessivly getting faster, 2 all out sprints)
4 x 12.5m dive and sprint

15 x first half of water course as fast as possible. This was fun. I really liked that we had to go all out. Very tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment