Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 28, 29 and my Birthday!




Here is a Picture of the Team. Charles, Steve, and Simon. They are both French so I am excluded from a lot of the converstions while on the run in the bush.

Day 28

My Birthday. 33 Years old.

Today was the CIOR Cup! This is basically a reenactment of what we will experience in Turkey. We are treated like they will treat us there. Line up with ID card for the start of the rifle shoot. Draw our weapons and ammo. Lay down on the firing point and wait instructions. After the instructions it was game on. FIRE! We fired five confirmatory rounds to ensure our rifles were still zeroed. Then 9 rounds at a precision target from 200m. We had 5 minutes to fire these rounds. Highest possible score was 90. I scored 76. I had some issues with my rifle that I don’t need to talk about. After that 9 rounds for a rapid shoot. We have 1 minute to get all 9 rounds off. The targets measure 12 inches by 16 inches. Highest possible score is 90. I scored 68. I normally score better. Oh well.

After this it was the pistol range.

Same deal as the rifle shoot. 25m range with a precision and a rapid. 3 minutes for 9 rounds and 35 seconds for the other 9 rounds. I scored a total of 154. This was a good score for me on the pistol so I was happy with that score.

Land Obstacle course.

3:15 total time. This was a good score for us. All were happy.

Clean weapons for 4 hours and then back to base for supper.

Day 29

Orienteering Race. Our last race before Turkey.

Staggered start of five minutes. My team was 2nd in the rotation. We got all 5 maps at once and when it was our time we were driven to the start. This was so we couldn’t cheat and look at the maps before.
15km race was completed in 3:22. This seems pretty slow for only 15km but in the bush it is a fairly fast time. There were some mistakes made of course but we quickly adjusted and got back on track.

We leave for Turkey on Tuesday at 1600hrs. 2 days off to clean our gear and pack our shit. I will most likely not be able to get to computers over there so after Tuesday I will be away and not be able to post any updates.

So excited!

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Steve, good job so far, sounds like you are kicking ass. Good luck in Turkey i know you guys will represent Canada well. I look forward to hearing about things when you get back.

    sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Bro and good luck in Turkey

    ReplyDelete