Monday, January 5, 2009

Welcome to 2009


Holiday Beard. Oh how I miss it!

First post of the year. I am predicting a great year.

CFWU x1 (I will have to increase this. I was getting bored with doing it 3 times so I went to 1. Now I need the practice for pull ups and OHS.)

Deadlift
3-3-3-3-3

135-185-225-295-315

That was good lifting today for me. I felt strong but my grip was the weakest part of the lift today. I tried the hook grip to compensate but nearly tore my thumbs off.

Today is day 5 of trying to kick the chewing tobacco habit. I have been addicted to that stuff for about 5-6 years. I have attempted to kick the habit in the past and have some success. I would be absent from chewing for a few months and then I would go back to the habit. I feel that it is more important this time around to truly stop. Getting married this summer is a large motivation. I don't want to get married with only half a jaw. The other and less important but none the less motivating is the financial aspect. I average about a 34g tin every 1.5 days. At a cost of 14.25$ a tin this translates to aboyt 285$ a month.

After 30 days of not chewing I am going to reward myself with an IPod Touch.

Are there any suggestions or words of wisdom to assist me with this painful endeavour?

2 comments:

  1. Steve I think you should make a bet with another buddy that chews (like Johnny) and make it a large sum of money. Whoever chews first loses, it would have to be completely on the honor system.
    Long term I think your reward system is a great idea but next time try for two months then three etc. Obviously the rewards are going to get better and better.

    According to your math if you chew another 5 years you would be out 17000 dollars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    I sent you an e-mail on Starting Strength. I like you new look. Just tell peole you just got back from a top secret deployment.

    I think you should do a strength cycle, eat a lot of meat and ease back into things. Focus on the slow lifts, get stronger now. Then in 12 weeks, add more METCON, dial in the zone. Now it is cold up there, the body will be ready to get bigger not leaner. Otherwise, 315x3 is a solid lift, the grip will come back fast.

    ReplyDelete