Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Circuit Training

Had a very interesting experience this morning with my PT class. We completed a "circuit" of 4 different stations with 3 different exercises at each station. We were to complete 3 sets of each station before moving to the next station.

It looked something like: 3 Sets of 40 seconds before moving on the the next station.
Station 1
1. squats
2. Shoulder Press
3. Lunges

Station 2
1. Tricep extent ion
2. dumbbell flys
3. Tricep skull crushers

Station 3
1. Bent over row
2. hammer curls
3. deadlift Arm curls* remind me to tell you about this!

Station 4
1. Bosu Ball crunches
2. Bosu Ball Supermans
3. Bosu Ball leg raises.

So it was a well planned and executed workout for 25 people to be doing at one time in a small space. It was a good workout in the sense that I really tried to go hard. As a result I was tired and sweaty after.

There were 2 occasions where I almost wanted to call bullshit on the whole deal.
1. I was doing the deadlift and I was instructed that I was doing wrong. I was always under the impression that a deadlift started on the ground in a squat position. You then proceeded to straighten the legs and then stand straight up. (crude description I know) Well I was told to not bend at the knees and to touch the weights to the floor with straight legs and then stand up. I asked if we were doing deadlifts? Yes of course we are was the reply. "I thought we had to bend the knees to do deadlifts?" "No deadlifts are performed with straight legs. Bend only at the waist". "Okay so we are doing roman deadlifts/straight leg deadlifts?" "No just deadlifts." I lost a lot of respect for the "Certified Fitness Instructor".

2. Same instructor, whom I already have an issue with started to tell me to "do more faster." I felt like saying listen punk! I am busting my ass here and I know my limits and I will work as hard as I can as long as I can. I do not need some mediocre fitness dude telling what to do. But since I am the "student" I wisely bit my tongue and carried on with the workout.

I was also told that I am obese and I should get into better shape because I have a high BMI. Oh and that I should eat more pasta and bread because it is good for me and lay off the fats because they are bad! LOL

4 comments:

  1. Hope there wasn't much weight on those deadlifts... can't you hurt yourself doing them that way?

    That sucks about the nutrition advice, but you know what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    Hammer curls, skull crushers, your "guns" are going to me HUUUUGE when you leave the academy. Good thing, you will really be able to fill-out your uniform shirt, just remember to order a size smaller then you usually wear.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha ... man just got with it, you won't be there long.

    Or, challenge your fitness instructor to do some functional movements head to head with you. When you crush him, tell him he needs to eat less pasta and more fucking fat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! So true.... I've experienced the exact same thing here in Toronto with a certain unnamed member of the organization responsible for physical fitness in the CF.

    Ridiculous...

    I should tell you about what they think a push-press is...

    ReplyDelete