Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Fear of the unknown

Last night it occured to me that I was scared to complete this Tabata WOD. I have never done one like that and didn't really know how to approach it. I mean I have done Tabata's before but never five in a row.

With previous tabata's ie squats I have gone full bore during the 4 mins and been completly wiped out after. I knew that this one was gonna be different so I tried to pace myself. I did the high pulls okay but my legs were getting tired. I knew that I had to do squats next and was concerned that I would tire myself too much and not be able to complete it. I started to pace myself.

I think that is what I did wrong. At the end of the WOD I was tired and sore but not a bad as I should have been given that today is a rest day. I let my fear of the unknown stop me from pushing myself further. I have improved in the past by pushing beyond my preceived limits and it is how I will improve in the future.

There is a great article in a Performance Menu about this topic. I should read it again. Stuff like unknown distance runs and how to prepare etc...

Stop being a pansy Steve. 1-2-3 GO!

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to see that article in Performance Menu if you have it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the pacing...I felt I could have done better...not much but better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the one hand, yeah, don't be a slacker. But, on the other, the first time with a workout like this is a chance to learn about it. Sometimes you get better results (and put out more work/ power) by "managing" the work a bit (i.e., pacing) rather than going all out from the beginning (for example, you can't run a mile at your 100m sprint pace, and going out at that pace would be counterproductive for the overall effort). The first time you do a workout that involoves a totally unfamiliar protocol, you're learning all these things about it. So what you learned here is that you could've gone harder and paced less. That's good info and you can use it next time. But it doesn't make you a buttercup--unless you do it at the same "easy" pace next time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete